6.02.2008

Domesticity

I have a house! Okay, so I have a single room that leads into another room in the attic of half of a house. Homeownership is still a few (hundred) weeks off. The room itself is maybe 16’x12’ and there is a little bit of an entry way that is the size of a Dupre single, or 8’x6’. The room is quite spacious. So much so that my throngs of crap might not even fill it. However, I have yet to acquire a desk and I haven’t filled up the bookshelves. I’m absolutely broke right now, so I’ll either have to craigslist things or wait until the bank is buffer for big purchases. I have a double bed, a small chest of drawers, and some shelves and a low bar to hang clothes from. Total bonus though: there is a really comfy loveseat up here! It’s awesome.


Moving was not especially difficult. Helen and Dad both came with to help, and then my friend Ian Noble and us went to dinner at the St. Croix broiler. The only problematic part of moving was fitting a double box-spring up the stairs that were a little too small for it. In the end, we just sawed the box-spring into two slightly thin twin box-springs. The splinters aren’t that bad.


I only have one half-housemate, Alison Liss. Harley Brown and Allison Olmos note the second L, that is a key distinguishing feature) live on the other half of the house. Tim Campbell and Amir Zinkow will be joining us on our half in a few weeks (Tim has the other room of the top floor) and Josh Porte and Caitlyn Cohen will be joining Harley and Allison – Caitlyn in only two days!

I need sheets, a fan (or two) and maybe I’ll paint. I’d also like to soundproof the door between Tim’s and my room, because I keep late hours and often like listening to music sans headphones. That might be a sore spot. I hope not. Tim is a cool guy.


I can’t actually post this, because we won’t have wireless until Tuesday, but… imagine that I had been transmitting this at the speed of light!

Q&KaBAM! Time

Youssou Ndore of Bamako, Mali writes…


Q: “Commodore, what are your thoughts on the rebuilding of New Orleans?”


KaBAM!: “I have never been to New Orleans, and therefore I cannot speak on it except in a removed sense. My good friend Lynn Cohen (I know a lot of Cohens) went there over spring break to do humanitarian work, and she said she had a great time and that it was an eye-opening experience. All I can say is that I hope they rebuild it safely and with a greater degree of consideration that was given when it needed help most. I’m always a fan of green urbanism, so I’d like to see that. Basically, I hate Las Vegas. Don’t build in the desert, and especially don’t convince millions of people to live in said desert. P.S. Don’t even think of taking our water.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man do i ever want to visit your half house. and the other half. SO MUCH.