6.09.2008

Life at Home No. 2

I have now been in residence at my home on Portland Avenue for just over a week now. I have yet to spend a full week here yet, since with one thing or another, I've either been at my house home at Kerry Court or working the Reunion until wee small hours. I am gradually getting more and more settled however as furniture gets moved into correct positions and decorations go up and dishes find their way into the correct cabinets. It's almost like living in a Harry Potter house minus the wand and with a lot more cracked paint. About half the outlets only have sockets for two prongs, and the walls of my room appear to be made of cement(?) because you have to nail things in to get them to stay. On the whole though, the place doesn't smell (except the basement, which has a curious musk of cat piss, fungal life and old man), is relatively cool (but so is the weather as a whole) and I can't hear my roommates from my room (although I only have one on my side of the house currently, and she is quiet normally). Maybe the whole world will come crashing down tomorrow.

Speaking of that, I also discovered that the floor by my desk slants slightly. Soon all of my housemates will have arrived, and then we'll have a big party and possibly all be arrested. I don't know whether I'm for that or against that yet. It certainly would make for interesting stories to tell my children. I find that time is, as usual, slipping past me. I was thinking today how I am going to become a junior next year, and how I'm already half done with college. I remember being a junior in high school and wanting so badly to go with all of my senior friends off to college, and how I wanted high school to end more than anything in the world. Now the reverse has occurred. I'd give mostly anything for a few more days here and there in the last two years. It's like my professor David Lanegran once said: "Life is like toilet paper. Every instant, like every individual sheet, is exactly the same length, but as you roll more and more out, each sheet becomes a greater proportion of the whole." He also said the opposite of a mother is a witch and that we must always judge strangers on the street as either our mothers or witches, and that the witches would eat us. I'm sure I learned a lot from that class, but it will have to settle in my mind before I can use it properly.

I'm going to go find Joe and watch Batman Begins. I love Batman.

Q&KaBAM! Time

D.H. Chatterjea of Kolkata, India writes,

Q: "Commodore, who is your favorite superhero and why?"

KaBAM!: "Obviously the answer is Batman. Batman, unlike Superman, is an ordinary human being who does amazing things using his strength of mind, body and character. Superman was just born with the ability to bend bars and shoot lasers from his eyes (while under an M-type star, of course) My other favorite superhero is myself, however my powers are yet fully formed. Perhaps when I get blasted by gamma radiation, or fuse my body to an elaborate machine..."

Better a slip of the tongue than a flick of the wrist.

No comments: