6.08.2008

Reunion!

Oh my goodness! Today is Sunday, and I've been working for the Macalester Alumni Reunion since last Wednesday. It has been so much work, but every moment has been worth it. As commodore, I give all who worked with me a 21,000 gun salute. I will certainly do it again next year, and I encourage all of you who are able to join in. So what did I do? Drove golf carts, bartended, set chairs up, ran errands, schmoozed with alumni, all around did whatever was asked of me (including making more buttons than one could rightly shake a stick at, would on be inclined to shake such a stick). I worked almost fifty hours in four days, which might not sound like a terrible amount, but two days, I was working nearly 15 hours straight. Oy vey!

I also met a whole bunch of neat people. Most of the reunion workers are international students (including both our coordinators, Lilla and Najada). Many domestic students don't have opportunities to interact with international students during the year, so this was a great chance to meet a lot of people I otherwise wouldn't have. I think its too bad that more domestic students don't do things like this, because they're all such neat and kind people.

I am now quite sweaty, and need a shower and a nap.

Q&KaBAM! Time

Theresa Bergstrom of Butte, MT writes,

Q: "Commodore, I have lived in Montana all of my life and I am definitely a big sky gal. You live in the city, but you grew up in the country. What do you think of the transition between the two environments?"

KaBAM!: "While certainly eastern Minnesota is nothing like Montana, I did grow up on a large plot of land on a lake with only a handful of neighbors. Growing up, I often wished that I had lived in town, closer to my friends and things to do. However, even so I enjoyed the countryside very much. The perpetual quiet from manmade noise (except lawnmowers and occasional shotguns), the openness of the lake and all the green surrounding me really left an impression on me. Living in the city now seems cramped and stifled, where it is never truly dark, and never very quiet, even though it is more exciting. I suppose I should take advantage of my youthful ability to adjust well to these adversities. I am certainly very grateful that I can go back to where I grew up any time, and although I enjoy my life in the city now, I would certain like to move back to the country one day."

May the Force be with you!

No comments: