12.15.2008

Going, going...

Today is Monday the 15th of December. In Montpellier, it is currently a full 50 degrees warmer than in Minnesota. And it's only 44F here. It's strange to be in a place where fall lasts until the winter solstice. Anyways, enough of the weather.

I finished my last paper, took my last exam, and now I am in the process of packing, weighing, throwing things out, picking things up, putting things down, picking them up again, looking things over, asking myself 'Why the hell do I still have this,' then taking the next half hour to come up with some excuse to keep it, bundling things, unbundling things, putting things in boxes one way, putting things in boxes another way, putting the boxes inside other boxes, putting the boxes in suitcases, putting myself in boxes, eating the boxes, wondering 'Why the hell did I just eat a box? Now I have to get a new box', getting a new box, slapping my wrist when I try to eat the new box, vomiting up the old box, wondering if I can still use it, deciding against it, fiddling with the new box, putting stuff in it, taking stuff out of it, throwing it out the window causing a car to swerve into the side of a building, taking out a load-bearing wall, leading to the collapse of half the building which then ruptures the gas line that conflagrates into a five-alarm fire, deciding I should just make do with the old box, piecing it together with duct tape, trying to fit things in it despite looking like and being a lump of wet cardboard, being screamed at by my host family that the neighborhood is on fire, ignoring them as I devise an ingenious plan to construct a new box out of an mismatched sock and three square meters of vinyl I found in the alleyway, and finally deciding to give up as the floor supporting all my things has just collapsed into the growing blaze, consuming them in a fireball and burning off my eyebrows.

In all seriousness though, I am almost done with being in France. Contrary to my last post, I'm not all that bothered by it anymore. A lot of people have already left, and I'll be leaving in a few days anyways. True, I will likely not see a lot of these people for a while, if ever, but c'mon, I can't worry about every little thing. I can barely summon the energy to finish this entry without giving up. It took me an hour to write this paragraph! Gah! More later. Maybe.

No comments: