8.14.2008

And I've Only Been Here A Week!

Bonjour! Hola! Hello! I am currently in Marseille, at a nice hostel called Vertigo. The only downside is the computers are pay-per-minute and each of them has a specific, crippling defect. One has a broken delete key, the one I am on has a broken space bar and the other is French, and thus I have to look at every key. It is a total scam. There is nothing I can do about it though.

Getting here was something of a trick - August in Europe is the height of the tourist season and so everyone is travelling. That means me, the poor American could not find anything in the city he is supposed to be going to. So, after leaving Barcelona, I found a place on the other side of the Golfe du Lion, and tomorrow I will be going to Carcassonne where I have found a little place for the remaining three nights before arriving in Montpellier on the 18th. I was planning on writing more, but this broken space bar is going to force me to recall all the impolite French oaths I've ever heard. It has been a lot of fun, but I am a little homesick and very tired. My 50lbs of luggage are no easy travelling companion, especially when you've just taken the overnight bus with a sunburnt back.

I was also going to upload pictures, but couldn't find a USB port on the box I'm using. That, I'm sad to say, will have to wait. Now, I'm off to read some wikipedia articles and then find dinner. I plan on being asleep by 9 for the first time in days. Also, Marseille is just a little sketchy, especially where I am right by the train station in the heart of a North African immigrant neighborhood.

Well, the space bar is cooperating a little more, so I'll write about today at least. Got into Marseille, glad I could understand (some) French, found the hostel, fell asleep on a couch in the common area for three hours, then waited for my room to be ready at 2. Went to Notre Dame de la Garde, a cathedral atop a hill that has a panorama of the city, and also went to the old port. And, I had a genuine ham and cheese sandwich at a boulangerie! Ha! Also, everyone send me your addresses (postal or otherwise) and I'll send you postcards. I've sent a few already, and I hope they've made it okay. Au revoir! Bon chance à moi!

No comments: