6.24.2009

Machines Don't Cry...

At least, they won't until we invent an emotion chip for them. And then they shall feel the pain of their wrathful creators! But, that's not the point. At work today (I am working as a carpenter's assistant at Macalester for this summer. Fun job) we were moving closet doors from Dupre Hall - a hellish, poorly designed furnace of a dormitory - to the shop to be cut up into boards. Each door weighs about 80 lbs. and there are some... I dunno, 300 doors we've moved. That's twelve tons of lumber. So, once we had gotten the doors into the shop, they were being cut into boards and loaded onto shelves nearby. The shelves were not necessarily designed to withstand that kind of weight, so as I was helping one of the carpenter's cut boards, I heard "HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!" followed by a loud crash. I look over my shoulder and see the shelves no more, and the three football players who had been loading the shelves all doing their best to move through a concrete wall to get out of the way. It's a real life situation of what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object - with people in the midst. Ordinarily in situations where you have that much anything moving in any direction, if you are in the way you are lucky to simply have broken bones, because you could well end up dead. These three guys apparently had guardian angels, or at least should be moved to the starting lineup of the football team because they all walked away with the worst injury being a small scratch on one of the guy's arm.
After laughing about their good fortune, they went on break for about an hour, probably to change underwear.

So, true that when God closes a door, he opens a window, this little accident has afforded me the opportunity to work in the shop for the next couple of days, which is fine with me because it is underground and quite, quite cool. The last couple of days in the dorms have been like working inside a sauna. Sleeping has been equally enjoyable. I've had my head parked in front of a fan, which has a double bonus of being loud enough to silence the sound of birdsong. Those bastards had been waking me up before dawn every day, and I was ready to gas the neighborhood. Other than that, I potted the Chicken and Hen's I got from Grandma Anne today, and I did dishes. I also have working internet again, so I no longer have to sit out on the curb to pirate the neighbors' signal. Hurray! And I'm off to see Star Trek for the fourth time tonight. Is it normal when one is able to quote a movie that is still in theaters? Tomorrow, I'm going grocery shopping. Domesticity has it's pluses, but when I only have six hours from when I get off work to when I ought to be asleep, it leaves me a large stack of chores in the inbox left to do. The plus is I get a three day weekend. I am looking forward to putting my feet up. Toodles.

1 comment:

H said...

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail89.html
Scalawag.